Monday, September 7, 2015

Review: 1984 by George Orwell

This was the book that introduced me to dystopian fiction, the same year as I discovered Alas, Bablyon. Just like with Alas, Babylon, I read this book inumerable times and it's another favorite. Once again, I will try to be fair but will admit to some bias. I don't think there are a lot of people who don't know the plot of this book. At least the basic one. Winston Smith fights Big Brother. Or at least tries to. It's a simple theme, but it's brought to vivid life by Orwell's characterizatons and his masterful building of the setting. Let me put it this way: how many books have a book within a book that you're disappointed they didn't include more of? And you want Winston to succeed, badly, but at the same time know why he can't. There isn't much to say other's haven't already done. Read it. Even if you can't stand the genre, you'll be glad you did. Buy 1984 at Amazon.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment